Tuesday, July 17, 2012

I Mustache You A Question ... Or Two

Just in case you are quickly scrolling through my blog and you see lots of pictures of guys and you are thinking: "What the heck? Lori has lost it!" ... I do have a good reason for this post. As always, there is a point behind my random topic. Here's why this week's blog has been plastered with testosterone: 

It's the time of year when the Folkman menfolk turn from groomed hipsters like this:


OK, not like that. Um, what are they wearing? And why??? Do you think after the models get backstage, they cuss and say, "I can't believe I had to wear that ... in public! That better not show up on the internet!" (Is it just me or does the guy on the left look like he has a shoulder-strap tan-line?)

Anyway, my guys go from looking clean and stylish to looking rugged and seasoned like this:


It's the time of year when we turn boys into men as they go on a death march recreational hike through the Bob Marshall Wilderness. (If you're from around these here parts, you call it THE BOB.) This year, the guys are doing a 100 mile hike in THE BOB in six days. And I thought Insanity was hard!

Anyway, as grooming habits are forgotten while the men become one with nature, it's gotten me thinking about facial hair.

Facial hair has been around for centuries. (I know, I did my research. Yes, I'm awaiting my induction into the Mensa Society.) In one form or another, men have always had facial hair. It's actually kind of unfair, because women can change hairstyles, but we can never really change our looks as drastically as men can by omitting one simple step in their morning routine. Well, I guess I could stop brushing my teeth and have them all fall out and that would change my looks, but that wouldn't be an improvement. And for some guys, facial hair can be--for lack of a better word--hummina hummina.


Tom Selleck might be the only man to rock the stache. Without it, he's just not so ... Tom. (My verbiage is abundantly prolific in this post, isn't it?)






Johnny Depp has the perfect bone-structure for a goatee. Without, he's maybe a wee bit too purdy. But like that's a bad thing!


Scruff makes Chris Hemsworth look less less like a Fabio-esque bodybuilder and more like a super something or other. The haircut helped too.

But ... facial hair isn't always an improvement. These fellas need their razors like I need my toothbrush.


This one is for the Pitts. And the next one is for Orville Redenbacher's Grandson. Oh wait, that's just the bow-tie. But the beard? Too gruff. 

My personal opinion is that most guys can get away with some scruff, but once it gets beyond an inch or so, it makes them look too old and unkempt. Also, for the most part, when the facial hair goes gray, it needs to go. The exceptions would be Sean Connery, possibly George Clooney, and good Ol' St. Nick. 

What do you think? Do some guys just have the right look for facial hair, or is it something that all men can do if they do it right? Who do you think rocks the beard/mustache and who do you think is better without? Do you like facial hair on your man? I like the looks of it, but the feel, not so much. 


Hugh Jackman is one of those guys who can go either way, and I added him just because he might have been mentioned in the comment thread a time or two. Or three. I'm nice like that and do things to please my readers.

What men do you think can go either with facial hair or without?

How about women? Any chick you can think of that's got it going on with facial hair? (I added that just because I'm feeling super guilty about spending my night looking up images of men facial hair.)

And I just realized I have never seen my dad with any kind of facial hair whatsoever. I can't picture him with it. But, he did have a rad Michael Jackson perm in the 80's. Now that I've mentioned it publicly, I'm sure I'll never be allowed to get my hands on a picture of it. Dang.

Your turn: let's talk facial hair. And don't leave me hanging or I'll feel like a dirty old woman! (And when I say old, I mean old. But not as old as Paulashawn, who just turned 4-0. I don't think enough people wished her a happy birthday to mark this momentous occasion, so make sure you add it to your comments!)
                             

17 comments:

Devree said...

GAh! the computer died and now I have to write the whole comment over again! I'm first again? Yay! This is what happens when I'm in hospitals for two post days. I don't like beards; they truly just creep me out. However scruff looks good on most men. But Disney channel stars that start out as little boys they show up all the sudden with facial hair, it's weird. Except Shia Labouf. He looks good! :) Selma Hayek looked good with a beard in Vampire's Assistant. Also, my friend Nica looked good at the economic summit when she dressed up as a viking. Happy birthday PaulaShawn! Pssshhhh! 40 is NOT old! I hope you have/had a very merry birthday! Mr. Rorher would sing a demented birthday song for birthdays. I'll sing it when I get back if you want to hear it. :3

Nicole Jessop said...

Gotta say, I think it depends on the guy. I prefer Steven with facial hair, but he can't be scruffy or scratchy. I do NOT like being scratched. And my dad has always had facial hair as well. As far as celebrity goes, it really just depends. I have to agree with the ones you listed. They just look good in facial hair. I think Tom Selleck is the only man who can have a mustache and be sexy. I'm not a mustache person... pretty much ever. But he can rock that look. Ooohh... and I LOVE Robert Downey Jr's facial hair as Tony Stark.

Caitlin said...

Sorry, but college has scarred me for life when it comes to facial hair. Nobody there is allowed to have full-on beards, but to all hipsters' delight, small mustaches are allowed. I think this is worse than a full grown beard! No, I prefer the clean-shaven look. But I could be biased- those boys from One Direction are still a few years away from being able to grow facial hair :)

Lori, did you really think you could get out of it that easily? PaulaShawn isn't the only one who's getting old! Happy Birthday to both of you! I hope you have a great one!

Anne said...

Caitlin read my mind! You don't get to get off that easy Lori! Happy Birthday to you and to PaulaShawn. There are a lot of July birthdays!

I have to say I prefer my man with facial hair. He has such a baby face when he shaves.

I don't like the look of just a mustache. It always look better if there is more (goatee) or nothing at all. As long as it's kept clean looking I think most men can probably pull off a little something. It's probably kind of like women can generally have long or short hair and usually look good both ways.

It must be all the time your guys are spending in the mountains? (100 mile hike?? Wow!) It seems like this time of year they'd want to shave to keep themselves cool? Does facial hair warm your face up?? I hope I never have to personally decide that one :)

The Rowley's said...

I hate mustaches... they are just gross looking. I like my hubby with a 5 o'clock shadow but anymore and he starts to look scruffy.
Johnny Depp is gorgeous with the goatee. Ok hes extremely good looking anyway but the facial hair is a plus.

Lori Folkman said...

Devree: Again, I am so honored you visit my blog while you are away! How is everything going? I bet you are having the vacation of a lifetime! :) You made me laugh with your comment about Disney stars with facial hair. You are right: Miley Cyrus did not look good with a beard.

Nicole: I agree, Steven looks good with facial hair. But then again, he looks good with guyliner too. And I second your vote for R.D. Jr.

Caitlin: I've seen those beard t-shirts they sell down there. Poor guys, it must be horrible having to be clean-shaven. And thanks for the birthday wish--even though it's not my birthday!

Anne: See the above comment to Caitlin. :) (But thanks too.)
Agreed: your guys is good with facial hair as well. I would think beards would make it hotter: I know I've wanted to grow one in the winter before! When it gets below zero, you've gotta have your face covered up somehow, and natural is always best!

Rowley's: has your guy ever just done a goatee? I think he has the right jawline for it. He should give it a try! BTW: what picture of the barn did you want? I wasn't sure. Let me know and I'll email you.

Jennifer Lovell said...

Yay yay hooray for more pictures of Hugh! I laughed when I saw his photos, stared at them for a minute, and then said, "ooh, he can go either way. She better know that", and what can I say, great hopeless romantic minds think alike. You said just what I was thinking.

I am NOT a big fan of facial hair. 99.9% of men look better without it. I can't say I even like Johnny Depp's goatee (sorry). I'll give Tom S. the go ahead with the stache, and my father-in-law, but I don't think anyone else gets a free pass on that.

As for beards, no thank you! Every time my hubby intentionally grows one (he unintentionally grows one ten minutes after he shaves), I start whining, so I feel sorry for him about that. It's just that his facial hair NEVER gets soft, no matter how long it gets--it's like steel wool. Who would want to kiss a Brillo pad? Booo for Brillo kissing.

As for the LOOKS of a beard, I would possibly pass 30% of men as looking hot with stubble (though it's still not my preference). Stubble usually means no more than 1/4" long (Lori, you're pretty generous by giving them a whole inch). My hubby looks hot with stubble, and his is half black and half gray about now. Pretty hot.

Just thought I'd give an honorable mention to a few more celebrities that fit within my 30%: Christian Bale (have I ever mentioned him before? I should have by now), Bob Harper from The Biggest Loser, Orlando Bloom, Jake Gyllenhaal, Robert Downey Jr. (nice goatee)...JUST ABOUT EVERYBODY ELSE: better clean shaven!!

Happy birthday to both YOU, Lori, and PaulaShawn, too! Good think I'm not running this blog, or we would have had a "Top 39 things we love about LORI" post going on...and I know you would have loved that! ; )

PaulaShawn said...

I was going to be the first commenter but I fell asleep writing it. Did that happen because I'm getting older, or because I am so boring?

Devree, I can't wait to be serenaded by you! This has been one FUN birthday! You'll only add to it.

Facial hair - that is one of my main concerns now. I am now one of those women who should not have conversations with others in the sunlight. It's just too distracting! I'm certain that I have the ability to grow more and thicker facial hair than my husband. That would make for a very freaky baby doctor appointment! But I think that somewhere beneath (the 2nd half of) paulashawn's horror at my prickly face, there has to be a bit of envy. Maybe even quite a bit!

You need your man to get back home. I've never seen so many men as on your blog. And what were you searching for that led to those two at the beginning? You need some supervision! If you're not careful you may start getting called names (like BYU's mascot).

Which reminds me - it is now officially your birthday. May yours be as delightful as mine was! And thanks to ALL of you who wished me a happy day!!!! Christina knows how to spread the love!

Lori Folkman said...

JazznJenna: You are right, I was too generous with my 1 inch allowance, but what can I say: I'm good with romance, but not so good with math! Nice imagery with the brillo pad! Ouch, poor you!

PaulaShawn: Thanks for the best laugh of my day. I think you are one of those rare woman who would look good with a bit of stubble. Go for it: grow it out!
The search I used to find that picture was: "sleeveless denim jacket for men." Duh.

OK, now it really is my birthday and I accept your birthday wishes. Thank you!

Jennifer Lovell said...

Lori and PaulaShawn, you guys are cracking me up.

Team C said...

Love facial hair, but I love the denim vests even more on your models. If my husband came home with one of those, and a goatee. Lookout!!!!!! Nothing says manly more than a button down, denim pocket sleeveless vest that comes not only in dark denim but in acid wash. oooo. Gettin hot in here!!!

Janice said...

Clean shaven, please! My hubby will be home in 2 days from scout camp and the first thing he will have to do is shave!

I remember seeing dad look like a mountain man after a week long hike with scouts. It kinds of scared me! But not as much as the michael jackson hairdo!

bigskyboys said...

I will make an exception for Tom Selleck and the mustache but otherwise I think the tache should be gone and stay gone-FOREVER. Before A and I started officially 'dating' he started growing a mustache and I promptly told him it looked like he had a worm on his upper lip. Luckily he was sensitive to my opinions and quickly shaved it off!

I think most men could probably get away with facial hair of some sort. Like a good hair style, just gotta find what fits. I don't care either way, just as long as it's not in that 2-4 day super prickly stage. Once we're past that, whatever. Personally I like a little grey in the old beard, it's kind of classy.

For the record, those shirt/vest/whatever the heck they are, are HORRIBLE. Amazing what some people will do. And to think Jerry thought the puffy shirt was bad.

Lori Folkman said...

Team C: You have a great eye for fashion. You need to get to NYC as soon as possible. They could use you. And you should have been on last week's post: you obviously have a very strong funny bone.

Janice: I hope you'll let him in the door before he has to shave. And also, let him go potty, because you remember the scout movie? KYBO? Have a little compassion on the fellow. :) Did dad ever visit you at school with the MJ do? Did you claim to not now him?

bigskyboys: OK,now that I mentioned the gray beard thing, I've started to pay attention more and it's not so bad after all. There was a Sean Conneryish fellow at the lake yesterday and he wore it well. OH the puffy shirt!!! Thanks for the reminder. I might need to watch some Seinfeld tonight.

bigskyboys said...

Have you ever noticed the northerner at church that looks very much like Sean Connery? Or maybe you've notice the fellow that is trying to look like Wolverine except he looks nothing like Hugh Jackman and he is all grey? If you haven't seen these gentlemen please let me know and I'll be sure to point them out to you so you can have a good chuckle next sunday.

Sally said...

Mustaches freak me out. Fortunately, it would take Brigham a couple months to grow one, so I've never had to deal it.

One of my special talents is hearing a mustache over the phone. Brigham recently interviewed some people for a caregiver position. I helped him screen the emails and phone calls. I heard a mustache. When the guy showed up, sure enough, he had a creepy mustache.

As far as goatees go, some are ok. Two of my brothers can go either way, which is an especially good thing for Brent. He can grow one in about half an hour.

Lori Folkman said...

bigskyboys: I still need you to point Sean out to me next Sunday. Hopefully I can find YOU!

Sally: you are hilarious! A mustache sense? I have never heard of such a thing. You are truly blessed!